28 Cost Estimator Interview Questions with 100+ User Answer Examples
What program or software are you best versed in when it comes to data collection?
As a cost estimator, we would expect you to have strong writing skills. Do you have experience writing proposals?
In your career as a cost estimator, have you ever created and made a presentation to a group of decision makers?
Are you already familiar with our suppliers?
- 4PM AND THEN GYM AND THEN I slept some hours and went ot job.
- Suppliers are more common. We need to develop more vendors for better business development.
- I am eager to build relationships with all of the suppliers on this program.
- Yes, I've worked with many in the past.
- Yes we are familiar with our suppliers because negotiable cost.
What was the most difficult estimating assignment you have faced? How did you get through?
- Shipping of structures as full modularised. Need to check all the points during transportation...
- Cost Controlling a running projects for more than a one year, Revised the Book of quantity, Studied the contract and the aggrements.
- Each task is different to another and so far I worked with great team where we were able to perform a great team effort.
- Count the no. Of hose reels.
- Working on Reimbursable scope for Eiffel Project. Detailed communication with my boss and respective managers.
What do you enjoy most about being a cost estimator?
- Being up to date with market prices for materials and products utilized in projects.
- Challenging target, meet new clients with new ideas, civil construction and development.
- I believe that the fun of finding all the small details from so many drawings is thrilling and with more practice, Even I would be able to excel it.
- Winning competitive and difficult pojects.
- What I enjoy most about being a cost estimator is meticulously going through every part of a process or blueprint and calculating and valuing the cost of a project.
How well do you know our company?
- Nothing. Only that I watched on internet.
- Well, a developed company that is gradually building their reputation in the competitive world.
- Very well. I have done my research and understand that the company provides services such as power and I.T
- I researched your company on your website and whatever I could find on google, it seems as if you take a lot of pride in what you do.
- Your company will be search to market are organised,
Tell me about your post-secondary education. Which program did you graduate from? Which course was the most challenging for you?
If you hadn't pursued a career as a cost estimator, what would you have chosen?
Have you ever led a project or team? Describe your leadership style in 3 words.
Communication and strong interpersonal relationship skills are important to us. Tell me about your communication style.
Would you consider yourself to have strong mathematical aptitude?
What would your previous manager say about your overall performance?
As a cost estimator, what is your proudest accomplishment to date?
- Everything in my past experience because that is I am today.
- Creating a report that control the daily progress and daily cost.
- Will check in deep before start costing.
- As a good human being and of course as a team player.
- Currently I am the lead of construction aspect of Egina project worth billions of dollars. We are within budget.
In what ways, could you improve as a cost estimator? What can you do to improve in those areas?
- Experience makes it best always.
- Pay attention to the smallest detail, meetings with the concerned people.
- More experiences in different condition.
- Knowing more abt the project-- and products.
- Estimation for various entities / projects.
What is your least favorite task within estimating?
- Never.... I love it always.
- You have to be updated daily.
- People providing data late.
- Sincerely I like the profession. Unlike other professions, you have to pay more attention and always have a keen eye in what you do.
- I've met several people who have been dishonest.
What are your first steps when analyzing the costs of a new project?
- Standard, Specification & schedule.
- Review the design with budget and resources.
- Revising the 3 resources, Manpower, Materials, Machineires.
- Look at the construction drawings and their references.
- Planimplementation, check total cost framework, plan, check stastics and propability.
Do you take pride in your work? Give me an example.
- I do take pride in my work, I am focused on the project at hand and strive to complete it ahead of time and try to produce the best quality of work possible.
- I am the finance minister for my estimation.
- I love to perform tasks as well as encourage teamwork, people love me for that.
- Yes, I always do the best I can when doing work, for example when I was in the internship I was involved in steel detailing work and concrete pour.
- Yes I am proud of doing this work.
Do you have an estimating assignment from the past that you feel you did not complete well?
- The Worst assignment I did is Submiting a report to the Projects manager without Revising it with the project manager.
- Well, never faced that worst situation, mayb once when we were in a group and project dead line was so close to submit.
- I dont know, I never made a mistake.
- Some formula in the excel file I was working on was not 100% correct.
- Not getting a rental ready on time, I underestimated the difficulty and time the job would take.
Would you say you are an organized person? Give me an example.
- Yes I am. i wasnted so much to travel. I decided to work part time 8 hours in a call centre to earn money to trAVEL. AND THAT TIME I WAS DOING COLLEGE B CLASSES AS
- Have good documentation separately for each project date wise and register for each for review.
- Controlled two running projects at one time, with different activities.
- I like to set all my paperwork as well as from the student life I used to take note in every classes and make them in a folder with different section so that I can easily find out what I looking for in shortest time.
- Yes, I enjoy working in organized enviroment is makes my job easier.
What made you choose a career as a cost estimator?
- I worked with my father from I was 15 year old. I really like this profession.
- Loved to chase targets.... Every tender is a target.
- Every one ask for your oppinion and your advice.
- I enjoy calculations and it makes me think deep.
- I enjoy the construction industry, you always learn from jobs.
As a cost estimator you must pay attention to the smallest detail. What would your previous manager have to say about your attention to detail?
- My rule is to check the results with design and inspect the outcome of resources. Verify with previous factors and common mistakes. Justify and improve.
- Very well because I deal with and report huge figures.
- I feel its a necessity as if you are not detail oriented you will miss things that can cost both the customer and company.
- Good, as to the point of understaing what could go wrong.
- We are assume the different details to receive the project.
What do you typically find the hardest cost to project?
- Nothing if everything is clear.
- Maybe weather conditions delays the time frame as well as increase the labour cost.
- Nothing as long as there are details for such estimation.
- Labour, its never as accurate is you would want.
How well do you know this industry?
- Very well. I have been in the industry for over 6 years.
- Yes I complete the seven years in this industry and these industry are market base.
- Well im now in this indusrty for 7 years, I have gained some insight.
Tell me about your post-secondary education. Which program did you graduate from? Which course was your favorite?
Tell me about a time when you made a decision or discovery that resulted in a huge cost savings for your company or project.
Do you have a valid certification through the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE)?
Would you consider yourself a confident individual?