Cost Estimator Interview QuestionsGo Back
1. Are you already familiar with our suppliers?
2. Would you consider yourself a confident individual?
3. Do you have a valid certification through the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE)?
4. Tell me about a time when you made a decision or discovery that resulted in a huge cost savings for your company or project.
5. If you hadn't pursued a career as a cost estimator, what would you have chosen?
6. Have you ever led a project or team? Describe your leadership style in 3 words.
7. Communication and strong interpersonal relationship skills are important to us. Tell me about your communication style.
8. In your career as a cost estimator, have you ever created and made a presentation to a group of decision makers?
9. As a cost estimator, we would expect you to have strong writing skills. Do you have experience writing proposals?
10. Would you consider yourself to have strong mathematical aptitude?
11. Tell me about your post-secondary education. Which program did you graduate from? Which course was the most challenging for you?
12. Tell me about your post-secondary education. Which program did you graduate from? Which course was your favorite?
13. What program or software are you best versed in when it comes to data collection?
14. What would your previous manager say about your overall performance?
15. What made you choose a career as a cost estimator?
16. How well do you know this industry?
17. How well do you know our company?
18. What do you typically find the hardest cost to project?
19. What are your first steps when analyzing the costs of a new project?
20. As a cost estimator, what is your proudest accomplishment to date?
21. Do you take pride in your work? Give me an example.
22. Would you say you are an organized person? Give me an example.
23. As a cost estimator you must pay attention to the smallest detail. What would your previous manager have to say about your attention to detail?
24. In what ways, could you improve as a cost estimator? What can you do to improve in those areas?
25. What is your least favorite task within estimating?
26. What do you enjoy most about being a cost estimator?
27. Do you have an estimating assignment from the past that you feel you did not complete well?
28. What was the most difficult estimating assignment you have faced? How did you get through?