30 Procurement ClerksInterview Questions
What do you do when you are faced with an obstacle to an important project? Give an example.
- "I consider differentways to overcome the obstacle. Like a big event. There are no consultation room or space available for the MEC. I'll use my resources on hand and create a solution for this obstacle."
- "I would seek assistance from experts. When I had to come up with a way of filing our documents I was faced with the challenge of getting all the documents in one place to enable good filing system and I had to request my team members to find a way of locating the documents and availing them for me to file them accordingly."
- "Seek possible solution from my line manager example when a supplier exceeds the lead time stipulated."
What have you done in the past year to better yourself as a Procurement Clerk?
- "I've helped out at SC management and transport and always ask question on how procurement are done."
- "I had a three month experience working in the Procurement office as a Procurement administrative secretary and I learnt procurement procedures."
- "Undertaken my undergraduate course."
How do you evaluate the productivity of your subordinates?
- "Currently I do not have any subordinates, but will motivate my team on a daily basis and reward them according to their productivity."
- "By delivery; timeliness and attention to detail."
What is your greatest strength?
- "I am well organised, polite and patient. I have already worked as a clerk where I have obtained clerical skills. I am able to sort out problems under high pressure."
- "My greatest is I like team work also Iam on time at the job, Iam honesty person."
- "Once I set my mind to what must be done, I complete it to the best of my ability."
What qualifies you for this job?
- "I'm determined, goal orientated and eager to learn new skills every day. I'm also a team worker and loves challenges. I also have the knowledge and experience to do this job to the best of my knowledge."
- "My education and my past experience as an administrative assistant/secretary and also my ability to pay attention to detail and follow up on vendors invoices and payments."
- "My experience and educational qualifications."
How do you handle stressful situations?
- "By finding the most stress free way of working it out i. E by talking to colleagues who are able to relief the situations."
- "Professionally by evaluating all the best possible options and coming up with the best alternative."
Have you ever had to introduce a policy change to your work group? How did you do it?
- "Yes, by giving each other a task to take care during work time, by selecting team leaders."
- "Yes, time keeping and change of roles. By doing it in stages and motivating the team members as I implement the policy."
- "No. I never had to do that, but if I have to I would first of all get inputs from my work group and consider their inputs before changing the policy."
- "Yes I had to introduce the change gradually and later to the whole organization."
Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- "I see myself becoming a Procurement Agent as I will have gained the experience and education required for this position."
- "I guess I will be a consultant in the purchasing field as I will have gained the necessary experience and educational background."
Have you ever had to resolve a dispute with a buyer or supplier? What happened?
- "Yes, when a supplier was not meeting their date lines arguing that they have not been contacted officially. We had to send in official documentation to have the supplier deliver."
- "Yes, the sispute was with the purchase specification where by a supplier had delivered a previous model of a printer and there was an upgrade of the same we had to renegotiate on the purchase price."
Are you familiar with any ordering software?
- "For now I can say no, but I know given an opportunity I can learn, because we are changing to on line purchasing, previously we used manual systems on ordering for goods."
- "No we used manual ordering procedures but we changing to e- procurement."
- "I only got the basic of it, but no specific training on ordering software."
- "Yes. At the district of maple ridge we utilized ordering and inventory software."
- "No not really but i'm willing to learn."
- "Am not familiar with the ERP systems but am sure given a chance I can learn quickly as I am familiar with a payroll system."
- "What is procurment."
Tell me about a few difficulties you have had, dealing with suppliers, and how you overcame them.
- "The customer is always right. I would just try to deal with them in a professional manner and satisfy their needs within a real perspective."
- "- Timeliness - They were delaying in deliveries so I had to try and place my orders early enough to give them time to also prepare their deliveries and make them in good time - Quality - I had to have them adhere to my specifications and I had to check them before delivery. -"
- "Lack of seriousness among-st themselves, blacklisting them."
How would you rate your communication skills?
- "I cant tell exactly but I have never heard customers and my seniors complain as I strike company deals whenever I am sent to represent the company."
- "My communication skills are excellent as I have been a very good team player in my previous positions as an administrative assistant/secretary and customer service."
- "Excellent, by striking deals for the organisation."
- "I have worked with the public for years and have been in charge of a team of staff due to this I have learnt how to communicate effectively with a broad range of people."
- "Excellent in both narrative reporting and analysis of financial books of records to have a meaningfull feedback to the campany as well as to the actors such as suppliers and deliverance of items and services."
- "Excellent. They have been highly developed by customer service and supervisory positions."
- "I would give myself a 10. I can communicate very well."
- "Communication skills is very important and my communication skills is well."
- "I have excellent communication skills as this can be viewed in on the strong negotiation skills that I have."
- "From 1 to 10 I rate myself 7 cause I don't feel that I am expert in terms of communication skills, but I am very much willing to improve myself so that I would be able to make it perfect 10."
Why are you the best candidate for us?
- "I'm self-motivated, hard working and will defeinitely be the best candiate to do this job."
- "I am the best candidate because of my past experience working in this office as a procurement administrative assistant and also the experience gained in various capacities that are in line with the requirements for this position."
- "My experience and academic qualifications make me fit for this position."
Tell me your duties at your last job.
- "People Management, Savings Delivery, Process Complaince and Management."
- "My duties were to maintaining files, issuing of materials to user department and controlling stocks to maintain the desired level."
- "- Filing - Making requisitions through GLAAS - Following up on invoices -Following up on vendors to deliver in good time -organizing office meetings -procuring services/facilities for meetings -ensuring that the office has enough stationery -ensuring that the office equipment is in working condition all the time -taking care of visitors/customers."
- "Maintenance of files and up stocking cards."
- "I've kept the diary of the Corfin manager, type reports, monitor spending, populate the unit's budget, assist with infratrusture needs, assist with typing of long list, Prepare presentations."
- "Office management of assets and staff; control inflow and outflow of office cash as well as pretty cash management for regular monthly office use; locate and purchases items which including setting of three auotationofprojectauotationsArent sellers and buyers of the items.Also creaing a list of products and prices to easy up the procurement exercise."
- "Senior executive which deals with entire logistic operations of the comapany."
- "I sell merchandise receiving, pricing, cashiering, restocking, inventory counts."
- "I was a voluntary worker so I had various duties that I performed at various departments."
- "Purchasing products for the organization, fleet management, commodity management between our ware houses and field offices."
Give me a few reasons why you are a great hire for our company.
- "Energetic and productive."
- "I think I am qualified because I have knowledge in documentation and have done my internship with your organisation and I think given the opportunity I can handle the tasks."
- "I am a great hire for my company because I have vast experience in this field and I am a fast learner and an asset as I have had various trainings within the company that prepare me well for this position and tasks."
- "I am a hardworking and reliable worker."
- "I am honest trustworthy and very ambitiious."
- "Well with accounting microfinance knowlege combined with four years working experience in office management has made me veey capable to of performing duties assigned in procurement in any campany."
- "I am dedicated, fast learner, great analytical skills, good communication skills, great negotiater."
- "I believe that by contributing my skills I can learn and achieve more knowledge. I'm hardworking, trustworthy. Together we as a team can go beyond the norm in satisfying the customer."
- "Detacade and hard working."
- "Becouse I have degree of community development with three experience."
What are your career goals?
- "My career goals are to be the best every where I am."
- "My career goals are to grow in the procurement field and become a specialist/consultant."
- "To go into the film industry and produce films."
- "To eventually climb the ladder to management accountant."
- "I want to contribute to the company by analyzing sales and inventory well."
- "To be in a superior position in a few years time."
- "My career goals to became pocurement manager."
- "To be a person to reckon with in the procurement field."
Are you detail oriented?
- "Sure ,I do follow procedures when it comes to ordering of goods since we have to use qualified suppliers to deliver goods at a fair price to cut the organisation cost and other laws governing procurement."
- "Yes, by following procedures in purchasing and issue of materials to user department."
- "Yes. I know all the merchandise and its quantities."
- "Yes, I analyze a problem thoroughly and the possible recommended solutions."
- "I am a very good clerk."
- "Yes definitely. Attention to detail comes second nature to me I make a concious effort every time to understand the causes instead of just the effects."
Describe a situation where you felt you had not communicated well. How did you correct the situation?
- "I was required to change the number of items to be delivered but I did not communicate effectively - I did it on phone and forgot to do it in writing. I immediately remembered and send in an email immediately to affirm my intention of having the number of items changed."
- "The lack of a sound system at a community event. The supplier did not acknowledge the request for a sound system. I had an alternative supplier who could supply the goods within half an hour and was able to submit the order during he event to the supplier."
- "I tried to explain to one of the patients about his account and afterwards I found out from my supervisor that the information I gave him was not totally correct. So I phoned the patient back and gave him the correct information."
- "Where I sent out a communication via email and it did not reach the recipients, I had to follow up with a phone call."
What is your greatest weakness? What are you doing to improve it?
- "Debater...I am slowly making efforts to improvise on speaking less and too the point."
- "My greatest weakness is that I do like delegating my responsibility to others, but I come to realise in order to succeed in you need to team work so that you can improve work perfomance."
- "My greatest weakness is to work continuously without thinking of taking a break and when I take a break; I feel I should continue to work in order to accomplish the tasks at hand. To improve this, I make sure I allocate enough time to accomplish tasks and time to take a break and be able to distinguish between the two."
- "My greatest weakness is speaking before I think and feeling sorry afterwards. I'm trying not to speak out my mind unless absolutely necessary."
- "New to uae job. As im a easy learner, it will be recovered within small time lines."
- "I concentrate on one thing at a time."
- "My greatest weakness is that am impatient with slow progress. I am learning on how to be patient and let things flow."
Tell me about yourself.
- "I'm a 42 year old divorced women with three children of which one is already self sustained. I'm a confident easy-going person who loves people around myself. I'm determined to make a success of my career before I reach the age of 60."
- "I am patient, hardworking and I detail oriented."
- "I am haron njuguna born 32 years ago. I am married with one lovely daughter. I have managed to attain 7 years experience working as a purchasing officer during my career at this job I have managed do develop my self by attaining other professional qualifications which proves am a hardworking person. I have also developed other skills like being honest, teamplayer that make me excell in this field."
Do you have experience in this field?
- "Yes a little. I'd say about two years experience whilst working at the local municipality."
- "7 years progressive experience."
What do you know about our company?
- "I know that it is a government communications company, whichj distributes news for government also magazines, banners, advertising."
- "It is the best place to work if you want career growth in the procurement area as it sources both locally and internationally."
- "Its a third party logistics service provider."
Are you efficient with your time?
- "Very well. I meet deadlines."
Have you ever had to locate new suppliers at your previous job?
- "Yes as there are special / technical purchases that need to be purchased."
Tell me about a time when you had to research the best bid possible for a new order your company was about to make.
- "I did research on the company's past dealings with government and their success rate."
- "When we had various bidders for some office cabinets; I had to research on the type being offered by the bidders and also to see the advantages of each bidder. The best bidder was to be able to have all the qualifications we had put down and meet all the requirements."
- "Researched on a reverse osmosis machine."
Give me an example of when you took a risk to achieve a goal. What was the outcome?
- "I took a risk to secure a meeting facility without a Purchase Order (I knew the Purchase Order would be ready soon) and our high profile meeting was time bad and I had to request the providers to let us use the facility and on the other hand I was pushing for the Purchase Order to be processed as the meeting was taking place. The outcome was fantastic as in by the time the meeting was concluding the Purchase order was already in place."
- "I risked to use my money to salvage a situation where a supplier did not deliver and it saved the situation."
Give two examples of things you've done in previous jobs that demonstrate your willingness to work hard.
- "Worked even while hospitalised and did not let and decision slip."
- "Negotiated deals for the organisation and."
- "- I have stayed longer than the stipulated working hours to accomplish time sensitive duties. - I have taken initiatives to do various activities within the office - I have mobilized my team to accomplish tasks that were not expected to be accomplished within the time frame given Being proactive."
- "I'm always helping out at other units and are prepared to work outside office hours. I also always meet the deadlines set for me."
- "I always go the extra mile ensuring that everyone is happy at the end of the day."
- "File management stock management."
- "Procuring a reverse osmosis machine for a borehole with fluoride water, the ability to conduct my studies on a part time basis."
Describe a time when you made a suggestion to improve the work in your organization.
- "The last improvement suggestion was given 6 months ago. It was about consolidation of adhoc services."
- "I made a suggestion to have a customer service help line within the team to channel the requests."
- "During the profiling of the Balelapa War on Poverty families, I created an action plan and divided the officials in groups on how to profile these families."
- "I didn't make any suggestions."
- "There is a time when I suggested that instead of giving children food we giv them snacks and the rest of the budget balance we purchase some learning materilas for them."
- "When I suggested that we use codes to materials for easier identification and retrieval and file management."
- "By introducing name tags and labelling selves and other stock cards to improve on traceability of materials."
What was your biggest challenge working across departments at your previous/current position?
- "Alignment of WHAT part of the objective and resource commitment."
- "As a store keeper I found it challenging since the users requested for things not found within my custody as they did not include them during departmental annual procurement plan."
- "The biggest challenge was time as departments also had their schedules to adhere to and in most cases it became quite difficult to push people around to have the meetings but all in all we worked together."
- "Other departments requested for goods and materials they never included in their departmental procurement plan that made it difficult in management of store difficult."
- "None that I can think of right now."
- "My biggest challenge was some staff taking too long to react to a problem or issue that is raised."
How would you rate your PC skills? Such as Office, Excel, Word, etc.
- "Good as I used excel in preparation of the procurement plan, word for writing requisitions and daily file management update."
- "Perfect I used excel and word in preparation of procurement plan."