Amazon Java Developer Interview Questions & Answers
1. Tell me about the Java Reflection API?
How to Answer
As the interview progresses, the technical questions will become more difficult. This indicates that the Amazon interviewer is gaining confidence in your qualifications and is willing to explore your background in more depth. Continue to answer the questions, in the same manner, keeping your answers brief and to the point. While interviewing with Amazon for a Java Developer's position, you will be asked many questions about APIs, such as SOAP API or REST API. Make sure you review these so you'll be prepared to answer the questions.
1st Answer Example
"The Java Reflection API enables you to test and modify applications while they are running. You can inspect the various elements of the java programming language, seeing the details. Java developers use this to debug and improve their programming."
2. What are some examples of JDBC drivers you would use when programming applications for Amazon?
How to Answer
This is a follow-up to a previous question. Any time you provide the Amazon interviewer with the answer, you should anticipate a follow-up question. This indicates that they either need more information or have a specific interest in this topic. If there are several follow-up questions about the same topic, they indicate that the subject is important to their operations. You should use it as a clue to talk more about the subject when answering their questions.
1st Answer Example
3. Please describe the JDBC API and discuss how it is used?
How to Answer
Another classic Amazon technical interview question asking you to define a concept and then describe how it is used. Continue to keep your answers brief and to the point, and feel free to provide an example if you think it will embellish or enhance your answer. Always be prepared for follow-up questions.
1st Answer Example
"JDBC stands for Java Database Connectivity. The API enables java programs to work with relational databases. This enables the program to connect with the database, run SQL queries, and process the results."
4. When programming in Java, can you have an empty catch block?
How to Answer
This is an example of an operational question. Operational questions evaluate specific elements used in your job. Like technical questions, answers to operational questions should be brief and to the point. You should also anticipate follow-up questions if the Amazon interviewer needs additional information or wants to explore the topic in more detail.
5. How does an OutOfMemoryError impact a program written in Java, and how can this be corrected?
How to Answer
This is an example of a hybrid technical and operational question. While technical questions asked during an interview at Amazon you will be quizzed about specific concepts, operational questions explore how you do your job. This question first asks you to define how a specific concept impacts your program and then discuss how to remediate it. As with technical questions, hybrid or operational questions should be answered briefly and to the point.
6. Please define a CountDownLatch in the context of Java?
How to Answer
You'll note that this question simply asks for a definition of a term used within the java programming language. You can only provide the definition or enhance your answer by describing how it is used when developing Amazon applications and providing an example. Your choice of how to respond to this question will be based on your perception of the interviewer, the interview's progress, and whether you feel providing a more in-depth answer will better demonstrate your qualifications for the job with Amazon.
7. Talk about what a Java timer class is and how you schedule a task to run after a specific interval?
How to Answer
Another classically formatted technical question. You are being asked to define a concept and then discuss how it is used in your work. Remember to keep your answer brief and to the point, and provide an example if you think it will enhance your response. Always be prepared for follow-up questions when you provide an answer.
8. Can you discuss the differences between a user and a daemon thread?
How to Answer
A common format of technical questions you will be asked during an interview with Amazon is asking you to compare two terms. The best way to respond to these types of questions is to first define the terms, and then compare the differences or similarities. You may even want to provide an example to help illustrate your answer.
9. Can you tell me what a Compare and Swap algorithm is and how you use it when coding in Java?
How to Answer
This is a more complex technical question, which asks you to define a term and then discuss how it is used when creating a Java program. Regardless of whether a question is simple or complex, it would be best to keep your answer brief and to the point. The Amazon interviewer will either ask for more information or move on to the next topic.
10. What is a marker interface, and how do you use it when writing Java code for the Amazon environment?
How to Answer
The fact that this is a technical question is obvious since it asks you to define a term and then discuss how it is used. Make sure you answer each part of the question in the order asked. This will help the interviewer follow your answer and confirm that you are listening to their questions during the interview.
11. Since many Amazon applications are developed using Java. can you tell me what the key elements of the Java programming language are ?
How to Answer
This is the type of question an interviewer at Amazon will use to begin the conversation, learn more about your background, and collect information they can use throughout the interview. This question also provides you the opportunity to direct the interview towards a subject area that you are familiar with and comfortable responding to questions about. Throughout the interview, keep your answers brief and to the point. This will encourage the interviewer to ask follow-up questions about the same topic or move on to a new subject.
12. What is Composition, as used in Java?
How to Answer
As the interview with Amazon progresses, the hiring manager will continue to ask you technical questions about writing programs within Java. Some of these will be very simple, asking you to define basic concepts that any programmer should know. Others will be more complex and require you to give longer, more complicated answers to define the concept, describe how it is used, and give an example of how to write the code. The best way to prepare for these is the practice these types of questions, stating the answers out loud, so you become comfortable doing this.
13. Amazon application developers usually write their programs using Java. Can you describe how access modifiers are used in Java?
How to Answer
Technical questions asked in this fashion are requesting that you describe how a concept or process is used when programming in Java. When answering this type of question, you may want a skip defining the concept and simply state how it is used. You can still provide an example if this helps clarify your answer. Make sure to keep your answer brief and to the point. The Amazon interviewer will ask a follow-up question if they need additional information.
14. Can you discuss what a static import is and what the pitfalls of using this are?
How to Answer
This technical question asks you to first define the concept and then describe some features of its use. This is a common format for technical questions that a Amazon interviewer will ask you. When answering a question during an interview, you should anticipate follow-up questions. These indicate that the interviewer needs additional information or has a strong interest in the topic they are asking about. It may also be an indicator that the topic is important to the operations of the organization.
15. How is a volatile keyword used in Java?
How to Answer
This technical question assumes you know the definition of the term the Amazon interviewer is asking about and only requests that you describe how it is used. By carefully listening to the interview's questions, you will provide the answer they are expecting. If you begin to think about your answer while the interviewer is still talking, you may miss the question's essence and give an answer which is not related to the question.
16. Can you define the final keyword in Java?
How to Answer
This technical question asks you to define a concept within Java. When interviewing at Amazon or any other organization, you should carefully listen to the questions you are being asked. Do not start to formulate your answer until the interviewer has completed asking the question. This will ensure that you understand what they are asking and that your answer corresponds to what they are looking for. When answering this question, the mistake you can make is providing too much information since you are only being asked to define the concept.
17. In your opinion, Is Java Pass By Value or Pass By Reference?
How to Answer
You may note that this question asks you for your opinion, even though it is technical. Not all technical questions have finite answers. Some may be relevant to the work you do or the type of experience you have writing programs. It is okay to state an opinion about a topic as long as you can support your answer. When asked a question of this type during the interview with Amazon, you can anticipate follow-up questions asking why you believe this to be the right answer.
18. How is Enum used in Java?
How to Answer
You should already recognize this as a technical question. It is asking you how a concept or process is used within the Java programming language. Continue to answer technical questions directly and briefly, with little embellishment, anticipating follow-up questions from the Amazon interviewer.
19. Can you discuss the importance of the main() method in Java?
How to Answer
This is another example of a technical question. As a Java developer who is interviewing with Amazon, you can anticipate that most of the questions you will be asked during an interview will be technical. The best way to prepare for these is to review the concepts used in Java programming and understand the processes, libraries, tools, and methodologies Java developers use. Being familiar with these will help you prepare for the questions you are likely to be asked.
20. Within Java, what are the differences between Path and Classpath variables?
How to Answer
This is a common format of a technical question. Technical questions ask you about concepts or items related to the work you do. They sometimes ask you to compare similar concepts or to describe how they are used. When answering technical questions using this format, you should first define the terms you were asked about. You then either compare them or describe how they are used. You may provide an example relevant to the Amazon job posting if it helps illustrate your answer.
Area Manager Interview Questions
21. We hire high-potential people who are ready to make an impact on our operations. Tell us about the most significant impact you've made in your current position.
22. As an Amazon Area Manager, you will be responsible for leading and guiding others. How do you plan to invest in the growth and development of your new team?
23. We are looking for an Area Manager with a collaborative leadership style. Describe what this means to you.
24. Amazon is one of the most customer-centric companies on the globe. What tools, processes, and methods will you rely on to ensure that your team provides the best possible customer service?
25. Amazon is defining the future of online retail. How will you contribute to this mission as an Area Manager?
26. We seek an Area Manager who is energetic, organized, and a self-starter ready to succeed for themselves and motivate others in a deadline-driven environment. How will you emulate these qualities and meet these goals if hired?
27. Amazon provides extensive training and development for our entry-level managers. How can we help you to become an exceptional people leader?
28. What do you know about the way Amazon runs its fulfillment and delivery network?
29. As an Area Manager, you will coach and develop a team of associates in a distribution warehouse environment. Do you have experience working and/or leading in a distribution warehouse environment?
30. A primary focus of this role is motivating, mentoring, and managing your team. Do you consider yourself a 'servant leader?'
Brand Specialist Interview Questions
31. Choose one of Amazon's 14 Leadership Principles and talk about a time when you embodied that principle at work or school.
32. Amazon Brand Specialists strive to improve the customer journey at every turn. Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to deliver exceptional service.
33. Brand Specialists embrace Amazon's Leadership Principle of 'Customer Obsession.' Talk about your most challenging customer and how you successfully delivered on their expectations.
34. Amazon believes in 'Ownership', and our team members act on behalf of the entire company - beyond just themselves or their team. Talk about a time when you served on behalf of others without being asked.
35. Amazon Brand Specialists take ownership of their work and never say, 'that's not my job.' Walk me through a time when you were asked to complete a task outside of your scope of accountabilities.
36. Amazon Brand Specialists have strong judgment and good instincts. Talk about a time when you made an unpopular decision that you knew was right.
37. Would you rather work with people you are smarter than or work with people smarter than you?
38. Amazon leaders 'Are Right, A Lot.' Tell the story of a time when your strong judgment and instincts led you to make a good decision.
39. Amazon Brand Specialists are never done learning and always seek to improve themselves. Walk me through the most recent personal or professional improvement you have made for yourself.
40. Amazon leaders are encouraged to 'Learn and Be Curious.' Give me an example of when you stepped outside of your comfort zone to learn something new.
Business Analyst Interview Questions
41. What key strengths should a business analyst possess, and how do these apply to our work here at Amazon?
42. Here at Amazon, we use a variety of data modeling tools. Which data modeling software do you prefer to use?
43. When planning, how often do you create alternative scenarios to help you adjust to changing situations?
44. Tell me more about your degree and the business analysis field in which you are most interested.
45. Tell me about your involvement in systems development life cycle and user acceptance testing.
46. Talk to me about your specific technical skills as a business analyst.
47. Cross-organizational collaboration is important here at Amazon. Tell me about your experience working with teams from various departments of the organization.
48. Name two important types of charts or diagrams a business analyst would use. Why are these important?
49. What is benchmarking, and why is it important?
50. How do you determine the difference between a risk and an issue?
Cloud Engineer Interview Questions
51. Can you define the cloud and discuss some of its features?
52. Please discuss the differences between cloud and on-premise computing.
53. What are some of the benefits offered by cloud computing that would induce an organization to adopt it?
54. What are the main services provided in a cloud computing environment such as AWS?
55. Can you define the components of a PaaS architecture, as provided by AWS?
56. Can you discuss the different types of clouds, and how they are used?
57. Why would an organization use a hybrid cloud rather than one of the three other types?
58. Please talk about how cloud computing can help with the reliability and availability of an organization like Amazon's IT resources.
59. What is Eucalyptus, and how is it used in cloud computing?
60. What is an AMI, and how is it implemented in a cloud computing environment?
Fulfillment Associate Interview Questions
61. Amazon Fulfillment Associates handle various products, including age-restricted items, foods with potential allergens, and chemicals. Are you comfortable working around products that present potential hazards?
62. As an Amazon Fulfillment Associate, you will spend much of your time relocating products using forklifts, pump trucks, and power pallet trucks. Do you have experience operating these or any other heavy machinery?
63. Fulfillment Associates work hard to pick and pack customer orders and ensure that Amazon meets the high expectations of our customers. What does excellent customer service mean to you?
64. If hired to join our Fulfillment team, we will train you in various processes and skills, such as operating a forklift and working safely in a distribution environment. Which area of training excites you the most?
65. Our fulfillment center has both inbound and outbound departments. Do you understand the difference between these departments?
66. Amazon hires good team players, excellent communicators, and people who bring an enthusiastic, can-do attitude to the job. Describe how you emulate these qualities in your everyday life.
67. Amazon Fulfillment Associates work set shift patterns. These shifts include evenings, weekends, and holidays. Are there any restrictions to your availability that we should know?
68. Our Fulfillment Associates are required to read and follow written instructions from a scanner accurately. Please rate your English comprehension skills from 1-10 and support your rating with an example.
69. Fulfillment Associates operate machines such as forklifts, pump trucks, and power pallet trucks. How will you promote our safety, quality, and production standards while using these machines?
70. Fulfillment Associates work under pressure on very tight deadlines. How well do you operate under pressure?
HireVue Interview Questions
71. Introduce yourself.
72. Why work at Amazon?
73. Why are you leaving your previous position?
74. What are three of your strengths?
75. What is your proudest professional achievement?
76. What are three of your weaknesses?
77. How do you manage your stress levels?
78. Describe a time when you didn’t complete your work on time.
79. Describe a time when you exceeded expectations.
80. Describe a time when you had to work with limited time or resources.
Java Developer Interview Questions
81. Since many Amazon applications are developed using Java. can you tell me what the key elements of the Java programming language are ?
82. Within Java, what are the differences between Path and Classpath variables?
83. Can you discuss the importance of the main() method in Java?
84. How is Enum used in Java?
85. In your opinion, Is Java Pass By Value or Pass By Reference?
86. Can you define the final keyword in Java?
87. How is a volatile keyword used in Java?
88. Can you discuss what a static import is and what the pitfalls of using this are?
89. Amazon application developers usually write their programs using Java. Can you describe how access modifiers are used in Java?
90. What is Composition, as used in Java?
Marketing Interview Questions
91. Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager. How did you handle it? What was the outcome?
92. Why do you want to work for Amazon?
93. Where do you see yourself in five years?
94. Give me an example of a time you received criticism. How did you respond to the information?
95. How would you handle a co-worker who was distracting you?
96. Why should we hire you?
97. What have you done in the past to learn new skills or develop existing skills?
98. What does success mean to you?
99. At Amazon, we greatly value teamwork. Tell me about a contribution you made to the last team you worked on.
100. What would your past co-workers or peers say is your greatest strength?
Operations Manager Interview Questions
101. Amazon Operations Managers have significant financial accountabilities. Describe your budgetary experience and responsibilities.
102. Our Operations Managers are expected to develop their team members. How will you approach professional development with your direct reports?
103. Amazon is defining the future of online retail. How will you contribute to this mission as an Operations Manager?
104. Do you have experience in corrective discipline and terminations?
105. How will you coach and mentor your team members to ensure they meet performance objectives?
106. If hired to be Amazon's next Operations Manager, how will you approach building positive relationships with the people you will be leading?
107. Discuss your experience creating staffing schedules in a 24/7, 365 environment.
108. Tell us about the most recent quality or process change initiative you led in the workplace. What was the pain point you wanted to address, and what results did your idea generate?
109. If an Area Manager or Associate was not maintaining compliance or consistency, what corrective action would you deem appropriate?
110. As an Amazon Operations Manager, you will measure the performance of your Area Managers and provide them with feedback. How do you approach giving feedback to your direct reports?
Product Manager Interview Questions
111. Why do you want to be a Product Manager with Amazon?
112. Tell us about a time when you disagreed with your manager. Why did you disagree, how did you state your case, and what was the resolution?
113. Describe the most innovative idea you have worked on during your Product Management career.
114. Talk about a time when you failed to reach a work-related goal. How did you react?
115. How does Amazon's leadership philosophy align with your leadership philosophy?
116. When developing a new product or feature, how do you approach gathering and integrating customer feedback?
117. Please walk us through a time when you nearly missed a deadline. How did you pivot your approach to ensure success?
118. Please talk about your most significant accomplishment as a Product Manager and why you feel it is so substantial.
119. How do you maintain the highest standards during project delivery?
120. Would you ever make a critical decision without approval from your boss?
Program Manager Interview Questions
121. Describe a time when you leveraged data-driven metrics to identify and implement an improvement in a professional setting.
122. Please describe your experience managing projects and programs.
123. What types of activities do you feel would be involved in owning the strategy for program of work at Amazon?
124. What are some of the methods you use to deliver effective communication?
125. What project management methodologies do you have experience with?
126. How many projects do you typically manage concurrently?
127. What should be included in a well formulated project charter?
128. What strategic planning methods do you have experience facilitating?
129. Do you have experience managing globally distributed teams?
130. Do you have experience leading technology development projects? If so, can you describe the types of projects and the functions you performed.
Project Manager Interview Questions
131. Describe a time when you incorporated customer feedback into the implementation plan or in the way the business was run.
132. Tell me how you communicate with others. What kind of communicator are you?
133. Tell me about a time when you made a decision that you knew your superior would oppose.
134. What was the best innovation you ever came up with in your professional life?
135. How would your previous stakeholders and team members describe you as a leader?
136. What do you hope to learn at Amazon?
137. Recall a time when you received difficult feedback as a project manager. How did you handle it?
138. What common risks have you encountered in previous projects and how do you handle them?
139. How have you used project management methodology to improve the project success?
140. Tell me about your favorite manager (anyone you directly reported to). What qualities did they have that really stood out to you?
Recruiter Interview Questions
141. Amazon Recruiters work with their peer recruiters and business leaders to drive strategies for candidate attraction. How do you act as a partner and consultant to your colleagues?
142. Amazon is looking for a Recruiter with experience mapping target companies, leveraging open source communities, and using creative sourcing techniques. Tell us about a time when you utilized your industry network to source exceptional talent.
143. Amazon Recruiters must have a broad understanding of human resources topics and recruitment best practices. Walk us through your related education and training, and describe how it will benefit you in this role.
144. Amazon is looking for a Recruiter with exceptional technical abilities. Please walk us through your experience using recruitment, talent engagement, and other human resources-related software.
145. Amazon Recruiters must have strong customer orientation with the ability to communicate with candidates at all levels. How will you ensure that the candidates you reach have an exceptional experience?
146. Amazon has a peculiar workplace culture guided by our Leadership Principles. How will you embrace our complex culture as it relates to recruitment?
147. Amazon Recruiters are often asked to fill roles with which they are unfamiliar. How do you approach learning complex job titles and terminology for positions that are new to you?
148. As an Amazon Recruiter, you will juggle multiple open roles while helping to ensure we hire the best and the brightest. When application volumes are high, what do you look for to determine if someone should be shortlisted?
149. As an Amazon Recruiter, you will help us fill various roles from Technical Managers to Program Managers and Software Engineers. What roles have you filled in the last 12 months, and how will those experiences help you succeed at Amazon?
150. Our Recruiters play an essential role in advancing a more diverse, accessible, equitable, and inclusive Amazon through our hiring, promotion, retention, and inclusion practices. How will you help us continue to improve these efforts?
Software Developer Interview Questions
151. What method do you use to find the missing number in an integer array of 1 to 100?
152. Here at Amazon, our developers work with Java quite a bit. Tell me how you find duplicate numbers in an array in Java containing multiple duplicates?
153. How do you find the starting node of a cycle if a link contains a cycle?
154. Based on your experience, what's the best way to find a node that begins with two single link lists?
155. How do you approach implementing an LRU Cache in your favorite programming language?
156. What is your experience with implementing a Binary Search Algorithm without recursion?
157. Can you walk me through the meaning behind a Depth First Search Algorithm for a binary tree?
158. Describe how do you implement an insertion sort algorithm. What is the easiest way to do it?
159. Amazon software developers use a variety of different sorting algorithms. Tell me the difference between a Comparison and Non-Comparison Sorting Algorithm.
160. Can you list the important categories of software development for me?
Software Engineer Interview Questions
161. If hired by Amazon, can you estimate what portion of your day will involve coding and other activities you will perform when not coding?
162. Amazon is very proud of our products and the people who develop them. In your opinion, what distinguishes a great software engineer from an average one?
163. What do you look for or check when reviewing another team member's code?
164. What do you feel are the critical principles of good software engineering?
165. Walk me through your process for designing scalable applications.
166. Describe the process you use to create a program, from requirements definition to delivery.
167. How do you go about addressing errors in your code?
168. Can you describe Amazon's software development life cycle as you understand it?
169. Here at Amazon, we have embraced Agile methodology. How experienced are you with the Agile software development process?
170. Please describe responsive design and the difference between fixed and fluid layouts.
Solutions Architect Interview Questions
171. Can you describe a creative solution to a challenging problem you developed in your role as a solutions architect?
172. How would you describe Amazon Web Services (AWS) to someone outside of Amazon's IT organization?
173. What are some of the steps you recommend to protect Amazon from a 'DOS' attack?
174. What is your strategy for securing the IT assets and intellectual property of an organization?
175. What do you believe your role is concerning supporting Amazon's functional analysts?
176. Can you explain CAP Theorem?
177. Please discuss some of the differences between asynchronous and parallel programming?
178. How do you ensure that the software you develop will scale?
179. What are the advantages of using a NoSQL database instead of an RDBMS?
180. What is a lower latency interaction, and why is it desirable in an application?
Virtual Customer Service Associate Interview Questions
181. Why do you want to work for Amazon as a Virtual Customer Service Associate?
182. Virtual Customer Service Associates play a critical part in Amazon's mission to deliver timely, accurate, and professional customer service. How will you contribute to this mission?
183. What do you know about the workplace culture at Amazon, and how is our approach a fit for you?
184. Please introduce yourself to us.
185. Amazon requires action-oriented, flexible problem-solvers who will assist customers in expediting orders and correcting post-sales problems. Talk about a time when you took immediate action to solve a problem for someone else.
186. What are your greatest strengths, and how will they contribute to your success as a Virtual Customer Service Associate with Amazon?
187. Do you have experience in a virtual-based customer service role?
188. Tell us about a time you successfully coped under stress.
189. You will communicate in real time with customers through chat, and phone. How will you respond to a customer if you don't know the answer to their question?
190. Virtual Customer Service Associates work from a home-based location approved by Amazon. Is your home set up to help you deliver your best in productivity and quality?
Warehouse Associate Interview Questions