Project Accountant Interview Questions Go Back
1. What steps do you take to keep a project within budget?
2. How have you monitored, or would you monitor, the performance of your team?
3. How do you stay organized as an accountant?
4. How will working for us help you reach your professional goals?
5. Describe the systems you have in place for keeping track of assignments given to staff members.
6. To confirm I have the most updated copy of your resume in hand, please confirm your highest degrees granted and the years of obtention.
7. How would you handle disputes with other employees in different departments about costs?
8. Where do you see yourself in 2 to 3 years from now, or where would you like to be?
9. What differentiates you from other accountants?
10. What areas of accounting do you consider your strongest and which ones are you the most passionate about?
11. Tell me what your greatest weakness is, and what you are doing to improve yourself in that area.
12. Please provide an example of a situation you were in with a difficult and/or dissatisfied client and how you resolved the situation.
13. How do you determine accurate labor costs for a particular employee that has worked on several projects?
14. Provide an example of a project you had to complete in a short period of time, and what you did (alternatively, would do) to successfully complete the project in a timely fashion.
15. How would you come to a resolution disputing material costs for a project that you shared materials with?
16. How do you stay on top of regulation changes in the financial industry?
17. What is an audit query?
18. Why did you choose to pursue a career in accounting?
19. How do you prioritize when you have multiple deadlines to meet?
20. Tell me about yourself generally and your accounting experience specifically.
21. Have you ever worked on a project that lasted multiple years?
22. How have you implemented the recent tax changes in your company?
23. Tell me about your experience with a difficult superior. How did you handle the situation?
24. Are you planning to obtain your masters' degree (where applicable, i.e., if not already listed on your resume)?
25. What is the largest portfolio you have been responsible for, preferably in a project accounting capacity?
26. Please confirm when you received your Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designation, or alternately when you plan on receiving one of these designations.
27. Tell me whether you ever had a project go over budget, and how you managed the situation.
28. Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now, or where would you like to be?
29. On a scale of 1 to 10, rate your proficiency level with respect to Quickbooks, Sage and Simply Accounting.
30. Please tell me a few of your greatest strengths.
31. What do you do to improve the communication channels within a team?