newspaper editor Interview Questions Go Back
1. If you have a 300-page document that's a rush job and you must edit it by the end of the day, how would you approach the task to ensure timely delivery?
2. How would you handle sensitive writers who question every edit you make?
3. Tell me about your post-secondary education. What was your favorite course? Which was your most challenging?
4. What is your ideal company culture?
5. What would your previous supervisor say about your time management skills?
6. Give an example of a time when you had to edit or write a piece under a strict deadline. How did you ensure that you met the deadline?
7. How would you handle a freelance writer who handed in subpar work?
8. What is your greatest weakness as an editor? What are you doing to improve it?
9. Do you prefer working with print, or online publications?
10. You have 2 major headlines that are both worthy of a spot on the first page. How do you choose?
11. Tell me about your leadership style.
12. Do you have a mentor in the editing industry, or any particular writer or publication that you admire?
13. How comfortable are you with assisting in newspaper design layout?
14. As a newspaper editor you may be asked to work overtime, evenings or weekends. Are you available to work long and flexible hours?
15. If you could write a book on any topic, what would it be?
16. Would you consider yourself to be more analytical or creative by nature?
17. Considering your background is in a different industry than ours, how do you think you'll fit into the job?
18. Tell me about your editing and proofreading process.
19. What do you like most about being an editor?
20. What do you know about our company?
21. Take a few minutes to bring your resume to life for me, focusing on your work as an editor and writer.
22. Name one thing that you feel you can do better than other Editors you have worked with previously.
23. How do you handle stressful situations?
24. How do you prioritize when you have multiple deadlines to meet?
25. What books/magazines/newspapers do you enjoy reading?
26. Do you read any blogs on writing and editing? Which ones? What do you like about these?
27. Why are you the best newspaper editor for us?
28. What are your 3 greatest strengths as an editor?
29. Why did you choose to apply with our company?
30. What are your career goals as an Editor?
31. When have you had to be extra thorough in completing tasks?