Advice and Examples: Tell us about your ideal work environment.
Tell us about your ideal work environment.
The hiring company wants to know that the work environment they provide is a match for your needs and desires. The goal of your response is to clearly describe your ideal work environment so that the decision-makers can assess if this opportunity is a two-way match.
When applying for a job, the fit has to match both ways. The hiring company knows this, and the decision-makers want to ensure that the work environment is suitable for you.
There are a few factors to take into consideration when looking at the work environment:
- Are questions encouraged without judgment
- Is continued learning and education encouraged
- Does the office allow for flexibility such as working from home or flexible hours
- Are there regular team stand-ups and opportunities to collaborate
- Is it an open-air environment without cubicles or walled offices
- Is two-way feedback encouraged and acceptable
- Are the goals and objectives set as a team, individually, or both
- Are there strict dress codes, after-hours expectations, and other restrictions
- Is the initial training comprehensive, or is there a sink-or-swim mentality
- Is recognition provided for a job well done, or are regular performance incentives provided
- Are employees promoted based on performance or only on tenure
How to Answer
Choose two or three work environment factors that are important to you, and discuss why you value these factors. Once you have described your ideal work environment, make a connection between your desires and what you know/have heard about working for this specific company.
What You Need to Know
The average HireVue interview takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. This one-way video interview typically includes 3-5 questions. Depending on the hiring company's parameters, the HireVue platform will generally give you 30 seconds to prepare a response and up to 2 minutes to answer each question. It's important to note that HireVue stops recording as soon as your time limit is up, so it's better to run under time than overtime.