Advice and Examples: Tell us about your long-term career plans.
Tell us about your long-term career plans.
The hiring company wants to understand how their job opportunity fits your long-term career plans. The goal of your response is to show the decision-makers that your longer-term career desires align with what the company can offer.
The hiring managers want assurance that you see yourself working for the company long-term. They also want evidence that your career goals match what the company can offer you now and years into the future.
When hearing your response, the decision-makers should feel confident that the company can support you and your career desires now and into the future.
If you're unsure of what qualifies as a long-term career goal, consider a few of these examples:
- Earning a degree or upgrading your existing education
- Growing a network of followers through consistent thought leadership
- Changing careers to a new industry that excites you
- Figuring out your ultimate dream job and taking action steps to get there
There are a few pitfalls to avoid when answering this question:
1) Giving an unrealistic response. For instance, "My long-term goal is to work my way up the ladder to becoming the next CEO in 12 months."
2) Giving a response that's unrelated to the job. For instance, "My long-term goal is to live overseas teaching English."
3) Giving an answer that shows a lack of preparedness. For instance, "I'm not sure where I'd like to be in the long term. I mean, I definitely don't know the future."
How to Answer
The decision-makers want to be clear on how this job fits your long-term goals. Showing personal and professional clarity is the key to a great answer. Here is a simple framework to help you form a response:
"In the long term, I would like to (insert your goal). So far, I have (describe the action steps you've taken so far). To meet this goal, I plan to (discuss the action steps you plan to take)."
What You Need to Know
The average HireVue interview takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. This one-way video interview typically includes 3-5 questions. Depending on the hiring company's parameters, the HireVue platform will generally give you 30 seconds to prepare a response and up to 2 minutes to answer each question. It's important to note that HireVue stops recording as soon as your time limit is up, so it's better to run under time than overtime.