Athletic Director Interview QuestionsGo Back
1. Tell me about a time you had to set an important goal. How did you successfully reach that goal?
2. Being an athletic director requires a flexible schedule. Can you meet these requirements?
3. Who is your role model and why?
4. Do you think an athletic director should focus on managing the athletic program from behind the scenes, or do you think should they teach some PE classes as well?
5. What are some examples of good sportsmanship you try to promote among your coaches and teams?
6. Describe a good coach.
7. What do you believe is your best asset as an athletic director?
8. Where do you see yourself in five years?
9. What do you envision for our athletic program if you are hired?
10. Describe your passion for sports, and explain how that passion will translate to this position.
11. Have you ever had to intervene in a conflict between two athletes?
12. How would you improve fan attendance?
13. Have you had to fire a coach before? How was that process?
14. What role do you believe athletics play in a student's development?
15. What major challenges and problems did you face in your last position?
16. Do you have any experience with booster clubs?
17. What experience do you have with fundraising?
18. What makes a successful athletic event?
19. Tell me about your experience coordinating and developing events.
20. How do you like to be recognized for your accomplishments?
21. What do you like about your present job?
22. What motivates you as an athletic director?
23. What brings you the most joy as an athletic director?
24. What type of experience do you have with hiring?
25. Do you consider yourself a leader?
26. How do you decide what gets top priority when scheduling your time?
27. If you were informed your budget would be cut by 15%, how would you address this shortfall?
28. Describe your ideal athletic coach and the types of coaches you would like to see in our program.
29. If a coach was loved by the students but under-performing on the field, what would you do?
30. Several parents complain that a coach plays favorites. After evaluating the situation, you realize this is true. How do you address the situation?
31. One of your star players has fallen below their required GPA to participate in their sport. What do you do?
32. What is your current salary?
33. Your tennis team’s players and parents complain to you about being under-funded and having to pay for their own gear while the football team seems to be over-funded and receives special treatment. How do you handle this?
34. A student is seriously injured at an athletic practice. What do you do?
35. When have you negotiated a deal?