Underwriter Interview Questions Go Back
1. If hired, how do you intend on making a difference with our company?
2. Do you have strong computer skills? Which programs are you most experienced in?
3. Have you ever had difficulty with a supervisor?
4. Give an example of a time when you made a mistake because you failed to actively listen to a supervisor.
5. What motivates you as an underwriter?
6. Tell me about your education. How has it prepared you for a career as a Underwriter?
7. Why do you want a career as an underwriter?
8. Share an experience you had in dealing with a difficult person and how you handled the situation.
9. Are you efficient with your time?
10. Tell me something about yourself that is not on your resume.
11. Do you consider yourself to have strong research skills?
12. If I were to speak with your social circle, what would your friends say about you?
13. Successful underwriters must have good judgement and common sense. Would you consider yourself to fit in those categories?
14. Do you consider yourself more analytical or a free thinker?
15. Give an example where you have had to use your negotiation skills.
16. When will your current project be completed, or when will be the next logical time to be able to leave on good terms with your team?
17. Give an example where you have supported a loan that did not comply with FHA loan guidelines?
18. Give an example where you have had to challenge loan documentation based on fraud detection processes you use.
19. What is your greatest strength? How does it help you as an Underwriter?
20. Why are you the best candidate for us?
21. What do you know about our company?
22. What has been your greatest accomplishment as an underwriter so far?
23. What has been your biggest disappointment as an underwriter so far?
24. What is the most difficult situation you have had to face and how did you tackle it?
25. Give me a time when you went above and beyond the requirements for a project.
26. What are the steps you follow to study a problem before making a decision?
27. What do you do when your time schedule or project plan is upset by unforeseen circumstances?
28. How do you keep track of work so that it gets done on time?
29. Have you ever been overloaded with work? What did you do to ensure your deadlines were met?
30. What initially attracted you to the insurance industry, and what keeps you here?
31. What professional goals have you set for yourself this year?
32. What do you dislike the most about being an underwriter?
33. How would you compare your current job to that of an underwriter?
34. Tell me about your financial training and education.
35. If not an underwriter, what other role within insurance would you like to be in?
36. What are your general guidelines related to applicable ratios (i.e Debt ratios, loan-to-value)