Tailors, Dressmakers, and Custom Sewers Interview Questions Go Back
1. Tell me about a time when you failed to meet a delivery deadline. How did you try to improve the situation?
2. How many years of experience do you have with tailoring or sewing?
3. Have you ever made a sewing mistake you could not correct? How did you handle the situation?
4. How would you handle a situation where you have altered a person's same suit three times, but still, the customer insists it does not fit right?
5. Why do you want to work for our company?
6. A customer is asking you to make alterations that would be extremely time-consuming, and you have six other garments to work on, all with varying complexity. What do you do?
7. Tell me about a time when you overcame a problem to finish a garment.
8. Tell me about a time when you were very proud of what you made. Why were you proud?
9. A first-time customer tries on a custom garment and expresses delight. However, you see that there are fit issues. What do you do?
10. You hemmed a garment for a customer and it's too short by contemporary fashion standards. How do you handle the situation?
11. Have you ever had a customer compliment you? What did he or she say?
12. What are some of the ways you keep up with fashion trends?
13. There's a thread in a buttonhole that is the wrong color, but it would be very hard for anyone to notice. What do you do?
14. You just finished a garment and realized that you made an irreversible mistake; the garment needs to be completely remade and cannot be altered. What do you do?
15. A prospective customer is making very specialized requests. Your boss is eager to take on the customer, but you're not confident that you can do a good job on that garment. What do you do?
16. What do you enjoy the most about being a tailor/dressmaker?
17. What did you dislike about the last company that you worked for?
18. Your company just took an order for a highly customized dress for a wedding, and the deadline is much closer than you're accustomed to. How do you feel? How do you handle this situation?
19. Do you see yourself more as an artist or an engineer? Why?
20. Why are you the best candidate for us?
21. How long do you see yourself being a tailor?
22. Give me an example of how you have an eye for detail.
23. How do you handle stressful situations?
24. How would you handle a situation in which one of your garments needs alteration, and your superior recommends a tailoring technique that you don't believe would be effective?
25. What are some techniques you use to reduce wasted time? Wasted fabric?
26. How do you deal with a situation where you're asked to handle a new cloth that you never used before?
27. How do you handle a situation where a customer requests a style that you usually don't use?
28. Tell me about a time when a customer offended you and how you handled it.
29. What factors do you consider when making alterations that the customer requests?
30. How do you handle very demanding customers who firmly believe that they know what's best?
31. Do you cut and make the entire suit, or do you work with a team?
32. What makes a good tailor? And a bad one? Please give examples.