Superintendent Interview Questions Go Back
1. What is the primary difference, in your opinion, between school board goals and school district goals?
2. On an especially tough day, what motivates you to succeed as a superintendent?
3. What are your career goals as a school superintendent, and how will this role help you to achieve those goals?
4. What are the standards you use for judging whether or not your board of education is doing its job?
5. Do you have a valid certification to be a superintendent in our State?
6. What was your favorite post-secondary course, and why?
7. When did you complete your Masters' degree? What was the focus?
8. Do you have experience wit hiring senior staff members?
9. Do you have experience with professionally developing senior staff members?
10. In your opinion, how important is careful budget planning and resource allocation in the school system?
11. As the school superintendent you are the point of contact for all government related interactions. Are you confident in your ability to professionally communicate with government agencies?
12. Many superintendents have their Doctorate in Education. Are you planning to obtain this designation?
13. Do you think honesty is always the best policy?
14. Setting educational standards is incredibly important. How do you ensure that your standards are set, clearly communicated, and met?
15. What are your salary expectations?
16. Do you feel performance should be rewarded over experience?
17. Do you feel that you are currently paid what you are worth?
18. How would you describe your personality?
19. Would you consider yourself a creative person?
20. How do you like to encourage ideas in your students?
21. How do you respond to feedback?
22. What major challenges and problems did you face in your last position?
23. To be a successful superintendent, you will have to deal with a wide range of personalities. Can you handle this?
24. Talk to me about the various ways that you evaluate student success and achievement.
25. What has been your biggest career related achievement to date?
26. How do you go above and beyond your general requirements as a school superintendent.
27. Tell me about the last book you've read for professional development purposes. What did you learn?
28. Are there any work related situations or tasks that make you uncomfortable?
29. Tell me what led you to choose a career as a superintendent.
30. How important is it for the superintendent to have a strong relationship with the school board's leadership team?
31. What is your personal secret to a successful career as a superintendent?
32. What course was the most challenging for you during your post secondary studies, and why?
33. If you were the successful candidate, tell me the first thing you would do to make an impact on our school board.
34. Tell me about a professional goal you have set and achieved. What personal qualities and characteristics helped you achieve that goal?
35. In what area do you feel you need the most professional development? What are you willing to do to strengthen yourself in that area?
36. Community involvement is important to us. What do you know about our community and school district?
37. What makes you the best superintendent for us?
38. In your opinion, what should a school board member do when contacted by a parent with a school-related problem?
39. Have you ever worked with a school board on setting school district goals?
40. As a Superintendent, you will be under a fair amount of stress. How do you successfully handle stress?