School Counselor Interview Questions Go Back
1. How would you divide your time between meeting the immediate needs of the students and keeping up with the paperwork?
2. Who is your role model? Why do you look up to this person?
3. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
4. Why did you choose to apply in our school?
5. Why did you choose a career as a counselor?
6. Can you walk us through a time when a case you handled failed? If you would be given the chance to redo it, what would you do differently?
7. What is your greatest strength?
8. How do you try to counsel students who are known to cause violence?
9. How would you explain cultural differences to students?
10. What influenced you to be a school counselor?
11. Why would you make a great school counselor?
12. What would you do when a student tells you that he or she wants to drop out of school?
13. What experiences have you had that make you feel capable of being a counselor?
14. What would you do if a student told you she was touched inappropriately by a teacher?
15. As a counselor, how would you use your role to prevent violence in school?
16. What is your experience with parenting programs?
17. What is the difference between Counselling and Coaching?
18. What experiences have you had in working with special education students?
19. Why should we hire you?
20. How do you manage your time?
21. How do you keep yourself organized?
22. What is the difference between a therapist and a school counselor?
23. Describe a challenging experience while you were counselling a student. What did you do to overcome it?
24. For you, what is the role of a school counsellor?
25. How do you handle criticism?
26. Can you share an experience when you had to work on a project with teachers? What was your role and how did your group go about the task?
27. What steps would you take if a student told you he or she was being abused?
28. What would you do if a student tells you that they want to end their life?
29. What is your greatest weakness? What are you doing to improve it?
30. What is the role of the school counselor in relation to teachers, parents, and administrators?
31. What makes you most passionate about being a school counselor?
32. Can you share an experience when you went above and beyond to help a student?
33. What do you do to relieve stress?
34. How would you handle an irate parent?
35. You witnessed a bullying incident. How will you address the situation?