Mental Health Counselor Interview Questions Go Back
1. Why did you enter a career in mental health?
2. How do you help clients set goals for counseling?
3. How do you measure progress?
4. What is your greatest weakness? What are you doing to improve it?
5. Why is medication important for some clients to progress in their counseling?
6. Tell me about a time when you helped a client develop new strategies to address their issues?
7. What do you know about our facility?
8. What makes you a great counselor?
9. How do you encourage a client to speak about their issues?
10. Do you have a high level of patience?
11. What brings you the most satisfaction as a mental health counselor?
12. How long do your counseling sessions last?
13. What is your availability in an emergency?
14. How have you handled a client who failed to progress?
15. How do you handle a client with coexisting mental health conditions such as depression or anxiety?
16. Where do you see yourself in five years?
17. Are you accustomed to working with diverse populations?
18. What type of emotional and behavioral challenges have you dealt with in the past?
19. Tell me about a challenging client and the approach you took to help them solve their problems.
20. What kind of medical information do you need? Will a medical evaluation be needed before treatment begins?
21. What are your career goals?
22. How do you make recommendations for a plan of care?
23. Have you worked with a patient who you believe was misdiagnosed? How did you handle it?
24. Tell me about a time when you saw significant improvements in a client's life?
25. How would you define success?
26. What is your greatest strength?
27. What would you do if a client said they wanted to kill himself/herself?
28. Why should we hire you?
29. Tell me about your counseling experience.
30. What have you done in the past year to improve yourself?
31. Tell me about your education.
32. How has your training prepared you for this role?
33. How would you describe your counseling style?
34. Even though this is an 8-5 job, clients may contact you any time of day, are you comfortable with that?