2. How would you calculate the number of manholes in New York City?
3. How would you describe your communication style?
4. You're asked to take the design for a load-bearing steel plate and create an aluminum design that can withstand the same load. What design considerations would you keep in mind?
5. You're designing a machined cylindrical part that is 0.525 inches in diameter with a 1/4 -20 threaded hole in its center. What shop equipment would you most likely use to manufacture this?
6. What types of manufacturing technologies have you worked with?
7. What is the difference between an interference fit and a clearance fit, and when might you use them?
8. In CAD Design, what is 'surface modeling,' and what makes it different from 'solid modeling?'
9. Where do you see yourself going in your career, and how will this role help you get there?
10. What is the difference between static friction and kinetic friction?
11. What types of standard views do you include in a drawing for manufacture?
12. What does 'parametric' refer with regards to 3D modeling software?
13. What is the 'Young's Modulus' of a material?
14. How would you define a simple machine? What is an example?
15. What interests you about working for our company?
16. What do you know about our company?
17. What is your ideal work environment?
18. Can you tell me about a project you've worked on?
19. What is your 'shop' experience?
20. What is a free-body diagram? When would you use one?
21. What are the phases of the Carnot cycle?
22. What is a Factor of Safety (FoS), and when would you use it?
23. How would you calculate the maximum deflection of a cantilevered beam?
24. You have a lever that must lift 50 pounds. The lever is 1 foot long with a fulcrum point 4 inches from the right side, which must supply the lifting force. How much force needs to be applied to the left-hand side? What mechanical advantage is this?
25. A gear rotates at 5 rpm and interfaces with a smaller gear in a 10:1 ratio. How fast does the second gear spin? If the first gear applies 10N*m of torque, then what does the second gear experience?
26. A force of 5 N compresses two identical springs in series by 10 cm. What will be the total distance that the same springs in parallel are compressed?
27. Why are screws generally not ideal for location in fixture design? What is a better way to do it?
28. What is the difference between 'top-down' and 'bottom-up' design?
29. You're inspecting the surface of a machined steel plate to make sure it is within 0.005 inches of flatness across its surface. What does flatness refer to, and how do you measure it?
30. What does 'circularity' refer to?
31. What is the difference between stainless steel and tool steel?
32. What does 'cold working' refer to? What effect does this have on a material's properties?
33. What is the difference between an end-mill and a drill-bit?
34. Why are sharp corners on internal geometry very difficult to machine?
35. How are LEGO bricks made?
36. What does 'draft' refer to in Injection Molding?
37. If you were looking for defects in an injection molded part, what would you look for?