The interviewer would like to know what transferable skills you bring. This is your time to talk about other positions you have held before your career as a laboratory assistant. You can talk about your interests, volunteer work, and other hidden talents. Just be sure to tie them into how they would benefit this particular laboratory.
"Before I began laboratory work, I worked in a retail environment. The skills that were instilled in me during those years are skills that I still bring with me to work every day. They include stellar organization, excellent listening skills and the ability to ask discovery-based questions to uncover the needs of others."
Entry Level answer example
"Here are some transferable skills you may have gained along the way:
- Experience leading a team
- Evident communication skills and ability to help share the company vision
- Research experience and expertise to analyze data
- Ability to motivate others on the job, and keep yourself motivated even on the tough days
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks when multiple deadlines are due"
Experienced answer example
"Before I began my career as a laboratory assistant, I worked as a teachers' aide in my children's school. I learned a great deal about patience, the importance of order, and the ability to communicate expectations clearly."