The interviewer would like to know what you will enjoy most in this particular position. The perfect fit needs to go both ways. Assure the interviewer that you see this role as a secure fit for you and discuss the reasons why. Be specific.
Here are some items to assess before accepting a new role:
- Day to day activities. Do they excite you, offer enough variety, and stimulate you?
- Skills growth. Is the position challenging enough that it will test and push your current skill level?
- Skills match. How carefully do the job description and job posting match the skills that you enjoy using the most?
- Job security. Sre you attracted to their growth and employee retention rate?
- Future boss. What are your initial feelings about the person to whom you will be reporting?
- Work style. Do they have a work style that matches yours? For instance, hands-on vs. dictatorship.
- Career growth. What are the opportunities for advancement in the next 3, 5, 10 years? Do these align with your career goals?
- Travel. Also, how much overnight travel is required of you and will you be able to sustain that type of schedule?
- Commute. Do you like the location? Many people quit their jobs because the commute becomes a grind.
- Company goals. Do you agree with the company's mission statement, short and long-term growth plans?
- Workplace culture. How well does this role fit with your personality, lifestyle, and needs?
"I like this position because it is a role that I know, but in an industry that I am interested in learning more about."
"This position is desirable to me because it is an answer to my desire to learn software ABC while gaining experience in project management."
"I initially applied for the role because I admire the work of your agency and have followed the career of your marketing director very closely. Aside from the opportunity to work alongside her, I also appreciate the workplace culture here and the values which you describe."
"What attracts me most to this position is the fact that your organization puts so much effort into professional development for your employees. It's awe-inspiring to me."
"What attracts me most to this particular position is the job security. Your company has been around for over forty years and is a household name at this point. I am highly attracted the fact that I would have an opportunity for exponential growth and a long-term fit."
"This school is just down the street from my home with is very convenient and a major selling point for me. In addition to being the most convenient location possible, I appreciate that you have French and Spanish language programs. I strongly believe in bilingualism for all, and I am thrilled that your school supports that thought."
"I applied for this position because I have the required skills and educational/professional qualifications you require. I know that I am a perfect fit. I would love to work for your company because of (X programs/initiatives you saw on their website and would love to get involved in)."
"I applied for this position because I have the required skills and educational/professional qualifications you require; I know that I am a perfect fit. One of the reasons why I would love to work for your company is due to the numerous industries your clients are in such as (X industries you saw on their website), which will enable me to acquire skills spanning various industries."
"I applied for this position because I have the required educational and professional qualifications. I would love to work for your company because of the range of artifacts and documents you are responsible for such as documents on historical policy."