Advice and Examples: Tell us about yourself.
Tell us about yourself.
The hiring company may use this question as an icebreaker to start the HireVue interview. The goal of your response is to give the decision-makers a glimpse into who you are as it relates to the job opportunity. You also want to spotlight the factors that make you the best candidate.
A HireVue interview may not always include the question 'Tell us about yourself' using this exact wording. Other forms of asking this question include:
- Take a couple of minutes to talk about your career journey.
- Please walk us through your resume.
- Talk to us about your career.
- Take us through an overview of your professional background.
When answering queries of this nature, there are a few things to consider:
- Keep your answer work relevant. Keep your points job-related as much as possible. You can discuss competitive sports, educational achievements, or volunteer work if you are new to your career.
- Avoid overly personal statements. You can add a splash of personal information; however, choose 'I love to read science fiction books' versus 'I was recently diagnosed with...'
- Be sure to qualify yourself. To qualify yourself means to add in a sentence or two regarding your strengths and why you are a good match for the role.
- Remember to talk about your goals. It is essential to discuss what you want to achieve in your career and how the interviewing company fits into those goals.
- Sprinkle in some achievements. Interviewers love to hear quantifiable statements, including numbers, percentages, and measurable accomplishments. For instance, rather than saying, 'I am the best salesperson,' you could say, 'I was awarded Top Sales Rep for three consecutive months.'
- Show your passion for the company's mission. Try bringing in words from the company's job description, vision statement, or core values. Show the decision-makers that your goals align with the company.
- Practice your response. You will want to avoid sounding robotic or rehearsed; however, the more you practice, the easier it will become to develop a natural-sounding response.
How to Answer
The Past, Present, Future framework can help you build a memorable answer to questions that ask you to review your resume, talk about your background, or introduction yourself.
- Past: Discuss how you got to where you are today.
- Present: Paint a picture of what you are currently doing.
- Future: Discuss what you want for your future. Then, connect how a career with this company aligns with your goals.
What You Need to Know
The average HireVue interview takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. This one-way video interview typically includes 3-5 questions. Depending on the hiring company's parameters, the HireVue platform will generally give you 30 seconds to prepare a response and up to 2 minutes to answer each question. It's important to note that HireVue stops recording as soon as your time limit is up, so it's better to run under time than overtime.