We value a volunteering spirit here at Bahama Breeze -- that's why Respect and Caring as well as Openness and Acceptance are some of our guiding principles. Did you know that, according to LinkedIn research, 1 in 5 hiring managers prefers to hire candidates with volunteer experience? This question is an excellent opportunity to discuss how you are involved in your community and that you commit time to help others. If you have volunteer experience, you have a leg-up on other candidates.
"I enjoy cooking in my free time, so I've been volunteering a couple times a week at a local homeless shelter. I help prepare meals, come up with new, simple recipes, and serve food to our guests. I really enjoy being able to meet our guests and hear their stories."
Second Answer Example
"I currently volunteer every Saturday at the local animal shelter. I help to organize adoption applications and also screen the applicants. It feels great to help out, and it melts my heart when we make a perfect pet-parent match."
It's always a great idea to have questions ready for the interviewer. Review the company website and other online resources to ensure the queries you have are not mundane, or redundant. The last thing an interviewer wants to hear is a list of items you could have found the answers for from merely watching a video on their company site!
Here are some sample questions:
- When would you like to have this position filled?
- How long has this role been vacant?
- Is this a replacement search or a newly created role?
- What is your favorite part about working here?
- What is the company's primary goal for this position in the next 12 months?
- Is there anything from my background and experience that I can clarify for you?
- What do you see as the most significant change in this industry over the past three years?
- Is there any reason why you would not hire me?
"Thank you for asking - I do have a few questions. What does your training schedule look like, should I be the successful candidate? Also, when are you hoping to make a decision?"
Second Answer Example
"I would like to ask if there is anything in my background on which you need clarification? Also, after discussing everything today, is there any particular reason why I would not be the best fit for this shift manager role?"
Tell me about your experience with Point of Sale systems.
Click To View Answers
How to Answer
Second Answer Example
You have completed 0 answers.
How to Answer
Even if you haven't yet worked in the restaurant industry, it's important that the interviewer can see that you are able to master our POS systems, methods, and procedures here at Bahama Breeze -- that's what our guiding principle of Excellence is all about. Do you have any experience with POS systems? Do you feel confident that you can master our POS system here?
"I have approximately eight months' experience with Square POS. I picked up the system very quickly and believe that I could learn your system quickly."
Second Answer Example
"The bulk of my POS experience is with Lightspeed Restaurant systems and TouchBistro. I can learn how to use any system that you require."
Even if you're not expected to drive for the job, you will need to have some form of reliable transportation. If you take the bus or ride a bike, that works too! Merely share that you have the means to get to work consistently and on time.
"I have reliable transportation. I have a well-maintained vehicle, and I am comfortable with the amount of travel required to get to your office every day."
Second Answer Example
"I take public transit; however, I find it to be very reliable. I was late to work only once last year, and that was due to a snowstorm which stalled all of our employee's commute - including those with personal vehicles. Rest assured, I am reliable and will always come to work on time."
Bahama Breeze likes to hire individuals who want to grow with us. Where do you see yourself in 2-5 years?
Click To View Answers
How to Answer
Second Answer Example
You have completed 0 answers.
How to Answer
Every day, we want to extend a bit of island attitude to our work environment. That means a sunny smile, appreciation for a job well done, and a helping hand you can always count on. We're invested in our team members and are always excited to help each employee take ownership of their careers. What are your personal career goals for the next several years? How can this position at Bahama Breeze help you achieve your goals?
"I've been in the restaurant industry for almost a year, and I really love it. I can definitely see myself building a career in food services, so I'm hoping to stay with the next company I work for for the long haul. In a few years, I would like to be in a management position, and I hope that I can work toward that goal during my time with Bahama Breeze."
Second Answer Example
"You can see in my resume that I have strong loyalty and tenure. My career plans include growing with Bahama Breeze in a management based role as I prove my skills. I would be happy to find a long-term fit here."
6. This position requires you to work around children. Will you agree to a full criminal background check? Pre-employment background checks are very reasonable requests in the family restaurant industry. A responsible employer will take the time to properly vet you for a role where you are working around children. Assure the interviewer that you can pass a criminal record check. If you have a criminal record, this is the time to disclose it. Here is an answer example: "I am happy to participate in a full criminal background check. I have a clean record." Here is an answer example: "If you do have a mark on your record: "I will disclose to you that I received a DUI in 2014 but do not have any other marks on my criminal record."7. Choose a dessert from our menu and sell it to me. This question serves two purposes. One, the interviewer is looking to see if you have researched their menu before your interview. Two, the interviewer is checking to see if you have the ability to upsell and romanticize the menu items enough to have a customer choose a dessert before asking for their bill. Here is an answer example: "I'm extremely picky about Key Lime Pie -- I grew up in Miami, and my Nana's pie was one-of-a-kind. Don't tell her I said so, but the Key Lime Pie at Bahama Breeze is just as good as my Nana's -- and I really prefer the brown sugar crust, which gives it just an extra hint of sweetness." Here is an answer example: "When presenting the dessert menu, I always say to my table, 'You can never leave dinner without something sweet.' It entices them to at least take a look and see if anything catches their eye. On the Bahama Breeze menu, the Rum Cake is a no-brainer: boozy, sweet, and spicy. And that handmade raisin butterscotch sauce is out of this world and totally unique. It's the perfect dessert to share... or just keep all to yourself."8. How much money do you think this role should pay? This question is a less abrupt way for an interviewer to ask about your earning expectations. There can be a wide range of earnings among employees in the family restaurant industry; perhaps because of minimum wage expectations differing between regions, but also because some people are excellent at tipping, while other guests may not tip at all. On the odd occasion, a restaurant may also have a no-tipping policy in place. When asked about your earnings, you can give an example of what you are currently earning, or provide a minimum baseline of what you would accept. Here is an answer example: "I am currently paid $11.10 per hour plus tips, earning an average of $19 per hour. This amount is okay for me; however, I am looking for a role with greater earning potential - whether that be more shifts, a higher hourly rate, or both." Here is an answer example: "I often see that high-performing servers can feel undervalued when it comes to tip outs. In my current role, my customers' tips range from 10-15%. I am seeking a role in a family restaurant with an elevated ambiance and customer base, that will allow for a higher earning potential."9. Do you have any preferred shifts? When working in the restaurant industry, you may be asked to take a wide range of hours. Many family restaurants are open from morning to night, seven days per week. Talk to the interviewer about your availability. If you are not available on particular days, take the time to better outline your schedule with the interviewer. Here is an answer example: "I am a university student, so my preferred shifts are evenings and weekends. Once school is out in June, I can take any shift available." Here is an answer example: "My hours are wide open right now. I would be happy to take a range of shifts, and work with your needs here at Bahama Breeze."10. What is your favorite menu item at Bahama Breeze? Bahama Breeze offers unique, Caribbean-inspired dishes for every customer, from the most adventurous to those just looking for their favorite comfort foods. The interviewer wants to see that you are familiar with our menu and enjoy the dishes we offer so that you are able to best serve our customers. Talk to the interviewer about your favorite dish at Bahama Breeze. Here is an answer example: "I'm a huge seafood lover, so my go-to dish is always the Seafood Paella. I especially like the addition of the chicken and chorizo to the dish -- the extra spice compliments the dish so well. It's perfect for sharing if you're looking for a family-style dining experience, especially when paired with one of the legendary island cocktails." Here is an answer example: "I'm an adventurous eater, so when I saw the Curry Goat Bowl on the menu the last time I was at Bahama Breeze, I just had to try it. I love spice, and the curry definitely did not disappoint; plus, I had never tried a dish with goat before, and I really enjoyed it! That's definitely what I would recommend to a guest who was looking to try something different and exciting."11. How would you respond to a customer who wanted to send their food back? At Bahama Breeze, one of our guiding principles is Respect and Caring, and we expect our servers to be warm, sensitive, and helpful to their guests in tangible ways -- even if the customer is unhappy with their meal and wants to send it back. Talk to the interviewer about how you handle customer complaints and how you would respond to a customer who was unhappy with their meal. Here is an answer example: "Even if the customer has finished a large portion of their meal, if they're unhappy with it, I want them to feel safe and comfortable to tell me. I think that kind of trust is established from the very beginning of an interaction with a table, so I always try to make my guests feel as comfortable as possible from the very beginning. That way, they won't shy away from complaining about an unsatisfactory meal -- I want them to enjoy every aspect of their night out." Here is an answer example: "If the kitchen did not prepare a guests' meal correctly, I want to know. I believe the only way to get better is to learn from constructive criticism, no matter how frustrating it may be in the moment. The customer is always right, but I will ask questions so that I can repair the situation rather than just put a band-aid on it."12. How would you react if your friends came in to eat and asked for a discount on their bill? At Bahama Breeze, it's important that we can count on you to be honest and keep our restaurant's best interest in mind -- that's what our guiding principle of Integrity and Fairness is all about. We want you to be truthful, candid, and always do the right thing, even if it may create an uncomfortable situation for you. Assure the interviewer that you are trustworthy and would never succumb to peer pressure. Here is an answer example: "I definitely consider myself to be a person of integrity, and I've never gone against company policy when friends or family dine in my section in the past. My friends all know better than to ask me for special treatment; in fact, I usually try to have my family and friends seated in a different section than mine to avoid any semblance of preferential treatment." Here is an answer example: "The food and beverage offered at Bahama Breeze is not mine to discount or give away. I would only give a discount once my manager approves. I believe that discounts should be offered when a situation needs to be repaired."13. During slow times in the restaurant, what would you do to keep yourself busy? At Bahama Breeze, it's essential that you can keep yourself busy, even during downtime. The interviewer wants to see that you can take initiative and accept additional responsibilities when you don't have customers to serve. What are some ways that you keep yourself busy during downtime? Here is an answer example: "I'm a clean freak, so I'm always offering to help the bartender at my current restaurant with cleaning glassware when there's downtime -- I know how much that impacts a customer's experience. When all of that is done, I make sure the bathrooms are totally spotless. Nothing ruins a fun night out with family and friends like going into a dirty or disorganized restaurant bathroom." Here is an answer example: "It's essential to me that I keep myself on the go and useful. If the restaurant is experiencing a slower time, I will make utensil rollups, and polish silverware. I will also do additional cleaning or ask the bartender if I can assist with cleaning glasses or cutting the drink garnishes."14. How often should you ask a guest if they have a food allergy? At Bahama Breeze, it's important that all of our guests feel our signature Island Hospitality -- that's what our principle of Respect and Caring is all about. You will learn a lot about managing potential food allergies in your training with Bahama Breeze; however, the interviewer would like to see that you have enough common sense to know that asking about food allergies is a critical step when it comes to responsible food service. Show the interviewer that you understand this to be important. Here is an answer example: "I have been trained to ask about food allergies or sensitivities when I seat a table and take their drink order. Then, I again ask about food allergies and sensitivities when they order their food. I will, of course, comply with any training and expectations from Bahama Breeze." Here is an answer example: "Although I have not received any food training, I assume it's important to ask each guest at least once if they have food allergies or intolerances. Is this correct? I look forward to receiving further training from Bahama Breeze."15. How many tables are you able to manage at one time? Bahama Breeze is a large-scale restaurant with large sections, so we'll expect that you can handle several tables of customers at one time. If you have previous restaurant experience, discuss the average amount of tables or people that you are accustomed to serving at one time. If you do not have any restaurant experience, you can ask the interviewer questions regarding how they train and prepare their new servers to handle peak volumes. Here is an answer example: "I have handled tables anywhere from 4-12, depending on the size of the restaurant and the staffing situation. Could you share with me the average section size at Bahama Breeze?" Here is an answer example: "I can commit to excellent customer service, and efficiency, up to approximately 30 guests. In my current role, that is around 6-8 tables. How large are the sections that you assign to your servers?"16. Why do you want to work for Bahama Breeze? At Bahama Breeze, we serve up Caribbean-inspired food, handcrafted tropical drinks, and a vibrant island atmosphere that lets our customers feel a million miles from home any day of the week. With many options in the family restaurant industry for employment, why do you want to work for Bahama Breeze? Here is an answer example: "I think what sets Bahama Breeze apart is their emphasis on a fun, energetic work environment with high standards of excellence. I'm looking for a job where I can make genuine connections with my coworkers and have a good time getting to know them; at the same time, I love to be challenged to do my best and exceed my expectations, and I think the environment here strikes the perfect balance." Here is an answer example: "Since I am a university student, it is important to me that I join a company that will be flexible around my hours, and support my goal to finish my degree. Also, I have read a lot on your tuition reimbursement program for top performers, and it intrigued me. I look forward to joining an organization that supports its employees wholeheartedly."17. Are you a leader or a follower? At Bahama Breeze, we work hard to build teams that strike a balance between great leaders and eager followers -- we need both types of employees on our team to make every Bahama Breeze location a success. What kinds of leadership qualities do you have? How do you respond to direct orders and tasks given to you by team leaders and managers? Here is an answer example: "I think one of my primary leadership qualities is my commitment to integrity and fairness -- I was really happy to see that Bahama Breeze includes these qualities in its list of guiding principles. I think it's important to always look at a situation from every side and make a decision accordingly. It's also important to lead by example through hard work, diligence, and by treating every coworker and customer with warmth and respect." Here is an answer example: "My role as a leader or follower depends on the situation. I am good at listening and following directions, but I am also great with people and working as a team to solve problems. I would say I have qualities of both, and I know I would rise to the occasion if given a leadership opportunity."18. Referring to the job description, what will be your least favorite part of this job? This question is an opportunity for you to discuss a little more in depth about how you might handle some of the challenging aspects of the role. All jobs can have frustrating moments. To show you have some knowledge of the difficulties you may encounter, share one hesitation you may have, related to the job posting or job description. If this is your first time in the workforce, you might not know all of the different problems to anticipate in the restaurant industry. If you're not sure, ask. Here is an answer example: "I always do my best to see challenges as opportunities for growth and development, so I'm kind of excited about a new challenge in the restaurant industry. I've worked at smaller restaurants in the past, so it will definitely be a new challenge to work in a larger restaurant like Bahama Breeze, juggle more tables, and become familiar with the huge assortment of delicious Caribbean dishes on your menu. I'm excited to get started!" Here is an answer example: "I believe that working on satisfying unhappy customers will be the most challenging aspect of this role. My experience in customer service has helped me understand how to listen, empathize and deal with conflict. I feel confident I can do the same in this role."19. Are you familiar with Bahama Breeze's guiding principles? The interviewer wants to know that you have researched our company website and become familiar with the guiding principles here at Bahama Breeze. Which of the principles stands out to you most? How would you work to incorporate one or two of these principles into your role here? Here is an answer example: "It's really important to me to work for an organization that puts emphasis on Openness and Acceptance, so that principle really stands out to me and makes me excited about the possibility of joining your team. I'm a very open-minded, hospitable person, and I think an important part of being in any industry, especially the restaurant industry, is having natural curiosity about other people, their cultures, and their ideas. That's one of my favorite parts of working as a server: I get to meet people from all areas of the country and world and introduce them to new, exciting dishes that they've never tried before." Here is an answer example: "I love that Bahama Breeze puts so much emphasis on Learning and Teaching. One of my personal values is to continuously push and challenge myself to achieve higher goals, so I'm constantly trying to learn new ways to improve my customer service and communication skills. I love learning new things, so it's important for me to work in an environment where learning and excellence are highly valued."20. What would you suggest if a customer asks for a drink recommendation from our list of Legendary Island Cocktails? At Bahama Breeze, our bartenders make our Legendary Island Cocktails with fresh juices, sugar cane, and island expertise. Tasty and exotic, many of these drinks come with a story to tell, and our menu of signature cocktails is one of the things our customers love most about dining at Bahama Breeze. If asked for a drink recommendation, what would you suggest to a customer? Here is an answer example: "I try to be flexible with my drink recommendations and either pair my recommendation to the customer's meal or find out more about what kinds of cocktails they enjoy. That way, I can suggest something familiar that has an island twist." Here is an answer example: "I love that Bahama Breeze's cocktails are truly inspired by Caribbean culture and traditional boozy drinks you would find on specific islands. My personal favorite is the Killer Bee, inspired by a traditional drink found in Nevis. It's the perfect balance between sweet and spicy -- definitely for those with an adventurous palate."21. Bahama Breeze values our customers. Do you agree with the phrase 'The customer is always right'? 'The customer is always right' has been a long-standing mantra for service-based organizations. Do you agree with this mantra? Why, or why not? The interviewer would like to see you respond positively. If possible, take a look at the company website to see what their mantra or customer service statement is. Here is an answer example: "Although I believe that the customer is not always right - it's important to treat them as though they are. Within the limitations of health and safety, etc.; I believe it's best to accommodate the customer within reason." Here is an answer example: "Some customers are quite impossible to please so I would not go so far to say that the customer is always right. With that said, I do treat every customer with the utmost respect and do put their needs first in all reasonable situations."22. In this role, you will be responsible for cash transactions. Do you consider yourself a trustworthy and honest person? In the restaurant industry, you could be completing dozens of transactions per day, many of them being cash exchanges. Can you be trusted with money when it comes to counting correctly, giving the right change, or making bank deposits after your shift? Draw on the strength of your references and assure the interviewer that you are a trustworthy and honest employee. Here is an answer example: "One of my greatest strengths as an employee is my level of honesty and trustworthiness. I have multiple references who will attest to the fact that I am competent and honest. I have experience handling large amounts of cash and credit card transactions, without a single discrepancy." Here is an answer example: "I see myself and trustworthy and always honest. My integrity has never been in question, and my most recent manager will be happy to give you a solid reference regarding my reliability and transparent approach in the workplace; whether that be with a high volume of cash transactions or a large bank deposit at the end of the day."23. How do you handle a rude, picky or upset customer? In the restaurant industry, you will come across customers who are rude from time to time. This is par for the course for any service based job. Are you able to brush it off when a customer is extra picky, or do you take it personally? Assure the interviewer that you can keep your composure when it comes to demanding customers. Here is an answer example: "I have spent the past few months working in a retail environment. I no longer take it personally when a customer is picky or difficult. I will do my best to make them happy, but I fully understand that you cannot please everyone, all the time." Here is an answer example: "I handle an extra-choosy customer with utmost care! I listen, and do my best to deliver above their expectations."24. Bahama Breeze has gained a lot of momentum using social media marketing techniques. Do you follow us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter? With over 36,000 followers, our Instagram account is one of the best ways that our Bahama Breeze team keeps in touch with our customers -- with exciting new dishes and drink specials and a colorful, fun vibe. We're interested in hiring candidates who show authentic engagement with the Bahama Breeze brand and products, so talk to the interviewer about your experience with our social media accounts. Here is an answer example: "I love the fun, colorful, easy vibe of your posts on Instagram -- it always makes me want to stop in on my way home from work for a happy hour drink or cocktail. I actually found out about your Reggae Fest in June and July through your Instagram, and my friends and I stopped in several times to enjoy the awesome music and ambiance." Here is an answer example: "I know that you have a great social media presence and I do follow your Instagram account. Of course, your posts always make me hungry!"25. At Bahama Breeze we put a lot of pride in the cleanliness of our restaurants. How important is cleanliness to you? The interviewer would like to know that you have an interest in keeping up their high standards of cleanliness. Give examples of times when you went over and above to meet cleanliness standards in your previous role(s). Here is an answer example: "I am very concerned about cleanliness as it has everything to do with first impressions, and also the health of your customers. In my current position, I am always the first to notice anything out of place or in disorder. Rest assured, I would be proud to uphold the cleanliness standards at Bahama Breeze." Here is an answer example: "I appreciate that Bahama Breeze has such a strong focus on cleanliness. I have taken some health and safety related courses and am confident that you will be more than satisfied with my standard when it comes to cleanliness."26. Delivering excellent customer service is of utmost importance at Bahama Breeze. How would you describe your customer service skills? Excellence is one of our guiding principles here at Bahama Breeze, and our customers should always expect to find us at our best. To deliver excellent customer service you need first to recognize the skills that you have and play off of those. Think about your natural personality and how you can use those characteristics to deliver stellar service on the job.
Some skills you may have are:
- Thick skin
- Networking Here is an answer example: " Here is an answer example: "As a server, and former retail sales associate, I believe in the importance of having thick skin. I come across a huge range of clients with varying needs in a day. Some are polite, and others are not. My ability to resist stress is one of the reasons why I excel in the area of customer service and dispute resolution. I can put my feelings aside and get down to the basics of what my customers need from me to be satisfied."27. The family restaurant industry is highly competitive. What do you think makes Bahama Breeze stand out? The interviewer would like to know what attracted you to this role, to begin with, and what prompted you to apply. Why do you think customers enjoy dining at Bahama Breeze? What do you think attracts customers to Bahama Breeze when choosing where to go out to eat? Here is an answer example: "Bahama Breeze stands out because it's a fun place to eat or get happy hour drinks with friends and coworkers. I usually choose to go to Bahama Breeze because of the live music -- I love to feel really immersed in an experience when I go out to eat, and Bahama Breeze definitely delivers that." Here is an answer example: "The menu here is full of dishes that you just can't get anywhere else, so adventurous eaters and lovers of tried-and-true favorites can get exactly what they're looking for. The drink menu and the dessert menu definitely stand out to me -- they're so unique and fun."28. What do you know about the workplace culture at Bahama Breeze? Every day, we want to extend a bit of island attitude to our work environment. We want our employees to feel at home here, and we always show appreciation for a job well done and extend a helping hand that you can count on. Talk to the interviewer about what you know about the environment and culture here. Here is an answer example: "A friend of mine worked at Bahama Breeze a year or so ago, and she really loved it -- her encouragement is really the reason I applied for this position in the first place because she told me repeatedly how fun, engaging, and energetic the work environment is, which is a great fit for me. She also told me a lot about how important it is for employees here to be open and accepting, which is something I've been looking for in a workplace." Here is an answer example: "Your restaurants are well known for encouraging continued education opportunities and offering advanced training, compared to your competitors. I appreciate your focus on employee development and cannot wait to learn more!"29. We offer great training at Bahama Breeze. Which areas do you feel you need the most training? At Bahama Breeze, Learning and Teaching is one of our guiding principles. We're looking for team members who continually strive for success, are open to new ideas, and take our rigorous training and learning opportunities very seriously.Talk to the interviewer about any job-related areas that you feel you may be lacking. Here is an answer example: "If I could choose an aspect of training I would like to learn more about health and food safety. My end goal is to gain a leadership position with Bahama Breeze so some training as a team lead would be valuable as well." Here is an answer example: "I'm just now making the transition to the restaurant industry after working in retail for almost five years. I have some background in customer service in the retail world, but I would love to learn more about how to translate the skills I already have into a restaurant setting."
Author of Bahama Breeze Answers and Questions
Jordan Henry is a technical and creative writer working in Chattanooga. She has worked as a career developer and freelance resume/cover letter builder for the last ten years. You can find her on LinkedIn here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jordan-henry-81539072/
About Our Interview Questions
Our interview questions are created by writers, almost all of which, have a long history of recruiting and interviewing candidates.
They do not necessarily have experience interviewing or working with companies, careers, or schools, in which they may write for on MockQuestions.com.
We do, however, strive to match their background and expertise with the appropriate question sets found on our website.
Our careers, companies, industries, and schools may have duplicate interview questions and answers found elsewhere on our website.
Specifically, our companies and our graduate school interviews.
For these two, we use the industry in which we believe the company most well-represents and the graduate programs, as the basis for the interview questions and answers that generate for each company or school.
The intent of MockQuestions.com is for our users to build confidence for their job interview, by using our thousands of interview questions and answers as they practice and prepare for their interview.
We believe, most of our visitors can become more likely to succeed in their job interview with hard-work and practice. We believe, the key to success is for our users to rehearse with our interview questions while using our answer examples as an idea generator for their own interview answers.
We strongly want to discourage users from memorizing our answer examples.
That is not the purpose of our website.